Even though the side effects of quitting alcohol can be scary, the impact this disease is having on the United States is even more frightening. It’s hard to believe, but one in eight Americans, or 12.7 percent of the total population, can be diagnosed with alcohol use disorder. With this number on the rise, it’s essential for long-time drinkers to look past the adverse effects and seek help. Like a downhill skier picking up speed, the momentum — and benefits — really start to build after a month. Liver enzyme levels and blood pressure have normalised, reducing the risk of cirrhosis and heart disease.
- Being addicted to alcohol means that it has control and power over you, so weaning yourself off might be impossible.
- However, alcohol will always have some effect on the body, she says.
- Many of my clients with depression often have an underlying alcohol problem, which they don’t initially disclose but emerges as time goes on.
Once you have gone through withdrawal, you’ll also need a plan to remain alcohol-free. Start by talking to a healthcare provider about the treatment options for alcohol dependence. A counselor can help someone prepare for life after withdrawal https://ecosoberhouse.com/ and provide support as they navigate quitting drinking. It’s typical for withdrawal symptoms to begin within hours to a day or two after you have your last drink. Symptoms are often at their worst around 24 to 72 hours after you stop drinking.
Other benefits of not drinking alcohol
Once you get through that part of the process, you’ll start to feel better physically and mentally. But swapping our evening glass of red wine for non-alcoholic spritzes and mocktails isn’t always super what happens when you stop drinking alcohol easy to do — even if you don’t officially struggle with an alcohol use disorder. That’s because alcohol is literally everywhere; its consumption is ingrained in our culture and societal norms.
Dr. Dasgupta said for social and moderate drinkers, participating in a month break won’t make much difference to their bodies. However, for people who exceed recommendations in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, he said staying away from alcohol for a month can reap changes. One of the most significant benefits of giving up alcohol is that you may increase your lifespan.
Your Heart Gets Healthier
You’ll have more energy and stamina, and you may notice that your skin looks healthier. American Addiction Centers can improve treatment outcomes for those in recovery for alcohol use disorder. The truth of the matter is that while some of the symptoms are undesirable, you’ll find the effects far outweigh them. Read on to gain the insight you need to stop drinking with confidence.
- While giving up alcohol can be a challenge, it’s important to remember that the benefits are well worth it.
- “[The bottom line] is, protect the heart with [a] low amount of alcohol, but increase the risk of cardiovascular disease with high amount of alcohol,” Dasgupta said.
- Data from 2013 published in the American Journal of Public Health estimated that about 3.5% of cancer deaths in the United States were alcohol-related.